Monday 17 June 2013

Steps to Swissness: Sunday Zopf

Zopf

Ohhh, so nice...it's so warm in Switzerland at the moment that even after 10 pm I can sit outside on the terrace. Makes me really happy...and the best thing is that the weather is supposed to go on like this for the next days.

I'm really astonished of my new work: I'm always off in the evening!! It's wonderful and I still don't really get it. My new work has also inspired me to "swissness". We have to bake every weekend Zopf for our people and I though that hey, why not to bake it also home for my Hubby who really likes it. When I first came to Switzerland I found Zopf a bit strange because something like that would pretty much always be sweet in Finland but here it's not really salty or sweet. I guess most of the people eat it with Nutella or some short of a jam. It's a Sunday breakfast thing. In the beginning when I went to Coop on Saturdays I always wondered about the amount of Zopf there. My Hubby told me back then that it's a part of Swiss Sunday breakfast and if I looked at the people's shopping trolleys I would find Zopf in each one of them and sure enough he was right.

Well, I have learn to eat Zopf as I have learned to eat croissants with Nutella (In Finland I always ate them without adding anything or maybe with something salty.) since I'm here in Switzerland. Baking Zopf is super easy I just somehow never came to it until now. I followed more or less the recipe from the package:

Zopf:
 500 g wheat/zopf flour (needed some more)
1 pack dry yeast
3 dl milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
 80 g butter
1 egg 

I found a nice video of baking a Zopf. Take a look if you interested: Zopf


Here is also a photo of our summer dessert: Raspberry tiramisu


No comments: